Some cool woman fashion images:
Portrait of a young woman by Charles Percy Pickering (1860-1868)
Image by pellethepoet
Carte de visite.
Studio of Charles Percy Pickering (1825-1908), 616 George Street, near Wilshire's Buildings, Sydney. Opposite the Golden Gate, Brickfield Hill.
Found in a junk shop in Darlinghurst, Sydney.
Brickfield Hill was a locality of early Sydney situated along the section of George Street between Town Hall and Haymarket (see this 1832 map - www.flickr.com/photos/state-records-nsw/4930537203/). Today's slight gradient belies the original steep approach to the city. In the late 1830s the steep gradient of Brickfield Hill was reduced by manual convict labour, and the material removed from the crest was used to grade the approach.
When the level of the hill was sliced down, by about fifteen feet, one of the houses beside "the Road" required to have a storey built underneath, to bring it level with the street - an unusual building operation that attracted the attention of the public. [David S. Macmillan, Some Recollections of Sydney's Early Development (Sydney: McCarron, Stewart & Co., 1965).]
The area had once been the heart of the colony's brick-making industry, a landscape dotted with clay-pits, brick-kilns and tree stumps (see Brickfield Hill and village on the High Road to Parramatta (c.1797) by Edward Dayes, after Thomas Watling). It was notorious not only for its reeking kilns, the smoke of which would sometimes choke the city, but for the grisly murder of Reverend Clode in 1799. His dismembered body was found dumped in one of the clay-pits - a trail of blood led back to a nearby house. The house where the murder took place was burned down and the perpetrators hung on the still warm ashes. Their bodies were left hanging to rot as a warning to the denizens of Brickfield Hill.
By the late 1830s the clay-pits had been exhausted, and many handsome buildings began to be erected to replace the shanties, taverns and small farms. Brickfield Hill had become an important commercial centre by the time this photo was taken. Pickering operated a studio at 612 George Street from late 1860. - www.daao.org.au/bio/charles-percy-pickering/#artist_biogr... - It would appear he expanded to nearby 616 at some point - Cato mentions him operating a large establishment at 610-616 George Street [Jack Cato, The Story of the Camera in Australia (Melbourne : Georgian House, 1955), p. 45]. From 1868, J. Davis, formerly of Pickerings, was operating his Sydney Photo Co. studio from 616 George Street. - handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/73826
Portrait of a woman by Edward W. Sanger (c.1870s)
Image by pellethepoet
Carte de visite.
Studio of Edward W. Sanger, Devizes Road, Salisbury.
Bought from an eBay seller in Paralimni, Cyprus.
The seller listed this as "from an old Warren family album".
Portrait of a woman
Image by Australian National Maritime Museum on The Commons
This photo is part of the Australian National Maritime Museum’s William Hall collection. The Hall collection combines photographs from both William J Hall and his father William Frederick Hall. The images provide an important pictorial record of recreational boating in Sydney Harbour, from the 1890s to the 1930s – from large racing and cruising yachts, to the many and varied skiffs jostling on the harbour, to the new phenomenon of motor boating in the early twentieth century. The collection also includes studio portraits and images of the many spectators and crowds who followed the sailing races.
The Australian National Maritime Museum undertakes research and accepts public comments that enhance the information we hold about images in our collection. If you can identify a person, vessel or landmark, write the details in the Comments box below.
Thank you for helping caption this important historical image.
Object number: 00013198